Sunday, July 20, 2008

Butterflies in the Garden......

I had butterflies on the mind this week!
How fun is this!!!! It is not my original idea I saw it somewhere a while ago and I had to try it out with my own little twist!

Shrinky Dink Pin Heads

Materials:
Box Shrinky Dink Plastic (I got this little kit at Hobby Lobby)
Paper Punch (Martha Stewart of course)
Extra Long Straight Pins
Oven & Baking Sheet
Paint & Brushes

Begin by punching out patterns in Shrinky Dink Plastic,
you can draw and cut out images by hand as well!

Then push a straight pin through the center of the piece.



Place on baking sheet and bake according to the
instructions on the shrink dink pkg.
This photo shows the butterfly before and after it has been baked.
With most Shrink Dinks you color with a colored pencil and
then bake, but for mine I waited till after the pin heads had baked
and cooled and then I painted the butterflies!


Finished Butterflies! I think these will make some perfect swap gifts!






More Butterflies 2 new totes will be in my Etsy shop soon!

I used Heather Bailey Freshcut Fabrics for this pretty Flutter Tote

In this tote I use fabrics from Amy Butlers Midwest Modern

Collection and paired it with brown linen for a perfect look!

As for the garden! I got in some new prints of Anna Maria Horner's new fabric line Garden Party! I can't wait to get started on some new designs! Such a beautiful color pallet!! Purchased through Sew Mama Sew!

Also I am super excited to say I am busy working on a new handbag pattern that will be for sale in my etsy store soon! There will be a give away in the near future! Stay tuned......................

Have a Happy Day!

Meg

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this project! Your butterfly painting turned out so perfectly. I can definitely see making these too - thanks for the tip. Can't wait to see what you make with the new Garden Party fabrics. Your bags are always fabulous!

Jennifer Paganelli said...

I love all the color the bags, the pincushion, and oh those pins..looks like lots of patience to me..all my best to you, Jennifer

BumbleBee Bagz said...

While I absolutely LOVE SewMammaSew I just wanted to tell you about another place to get fabric. Its called "FabricShack.com" and they are Always!! 1 to 2 dollars cheaper than anyone else. Check them out :)

Erin said...

Those butterflies are just darling! I'm off to make some for myself . . .

Sharon said...

Meg

You are so creative! I love the butterflies pins. I will be making some for myself! I always love your bags you are so very talented.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Love this idea! I'm going to link it in the daily DIY today!

Natalie Jane said...

WOW. LOVE your stuff!!! If you ever want to do a little trading for some handmade earrings, let me know....

amylouwhosews said...

Love the pink and green bag! So fresh and fun! I just started making bags, started with my diaper bag and it's so much fun! You have some great things on this blog!

And who knew they still made shrinky dinks? Not me - but I'll purchasing some very soon!

Sew Spoiled said...

I am going to definitely try the pin idea!! That rocks!!! I love the pincushions too. Thank you for sharing this idea!

Anonymous said...

Can I just say that this post made my little heart jump for joy!!

willow and moo said...

I really want to make these now! So adorable! Thanks for sharing.

Gina's Custom Creations said...

Wow...how neat...making butterfly pin heads out of Shrinky Dink! I gotta try that! Thanks for sharing! :o)

BIKY said...

fantastic idea

made by frogdiva said...

The butterfly pins are adorable and look so easy! I never thought about using shrinky dinks :)