Thursday, March 5, 2009

Fabric Tray Tutorial

Materials Needed:
2- 12" x 12" Fabric Squares
1- 12" x 12" Fusible Fleece
Iron
Sewing Machine
Grosgrain Ribbon
Straight Pins
Start with the 2 Fabric Squares and the Square of fusible fleece. Iron desired fabric to fusible fleece. You will need 8- 4" pieces of grosgrain ribbon.
I used a lighter to heat seal the ends.
Measure 2" in from every corner and pin ribbon in to place.Stitch ribbon in to place. Then lay the 2nd fabric square on top placing right sides together.Pin into place.Stitch a 1/4" seam all around leaving a 3" opening to pull fabric right side out.

Snip all 4 corners off.
Pull fabric through the opening. Turning right side out
Use scissors to help turn the corners.
Do not push too hard or the tip will poke through the fabric.
Finger press the edge seams down. Then Iron.
Using a 1/4" seam top stitch all around the square.
Tie sides together.Knot into place.Now your fabric tray is complete!Bottom view.
Fill however you like! Works great to hold sewing supplies!
Makes a fun message holder!
Here I placed the ribbon ties 3" at each corner this will make taller side walls!
Happy Sewing! Meg






10 comments:

Jamie and Lindsey said...

WAY cute, I wish I was a sewer. I'd love to be able to do something like this.

Bea said...

Soo cute. Thanks for sharing. Will bookmark for later use!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

These are fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing the how-to, I'll be linking.

My Precious Peanut Designs said...

Too cute! I agree with Jamie...I wish I could sew!

Ali said...

I think this will be my afternoon project. Thanks for doing the tute! When I post I will link.

Missy said...

Thanks for the great tutorial, Meg! My girls will love these.

Stephanie - My Calico Heart said...

I love your tutorials - keep up the great work.

Gone to Earth said...

Thank you for the tutorial. What a great way of keeping your favourite fabrics on show about the house.

Peggy said...

Thank you sew much! Your tutorial was very easy to follow and understand. I will be making several of these for us when we are traveling and for my Mom to keep her necessities close at hand.

Sandy said...

Thank you for such a great tutorial. I've made several of these already... they are so addicting!