Thursday, March 15, 2012

Attempting Lattice Smocking….

I have been doing some research on smocking I love the look and I thought it would be fun to try!

I started mine with an 18 x 18 inch square
 it is a bit hard to tell in the pic but I blocked it off in 1x1 inch squares with a 1.5 inch boarder
 I drew in my stitch lines
 and began to stitch
 this is a back view about half finished
 front view
 I added a 3 inch border and it is going to become a new pillow!
It is not perfect but I think it is pretty good for my 1st try!
 finished back view.
Hope you are having a fabulous day!
Meg


3 comments:

Rosebug said...

Love it!
Very pretty.
Will have to investigate what you are doing in diagonal stitch squares..Gathering?

Khris said...

This is really cute...I have put a link to your tutorial on the Freebie for Crafters blog if thats okay.
Thanks for sharing. Khris

Sandi said...

Hi Meg,

A very long time ago I learned how to lattice smock and did mine on a rectangular piece of fabric.

Unlike you I left more fabric on either the top and bottom or both sides, I hate to say it was back in the 70's. then when done you sewed the two ends together and made a circle. Then you pleated the remaining fabric in one direction on either end and used a round pillow form. To make covered buttons I think I used one of the lids you used for canning and covered it. Tres chic at the time. It was a golden yellow fine whale corduroy. Thankfully no pictures exist to my knowledge.

You piece looks very pretty.