Monday, February 23, 2009

Quilts that tell a story........

I love quilts that tell a story or have a great meaning. My mom brought me this the other day it is a quilt top that she started when she was 19 years old, 35 years ago! I am going to finish it for her!
I love the fact that she can look at it and tell me the yellow is from a dress she made and wore in high school. The orange & purples are from my great grandmother& the blues were dresses my Aunt wore. What I hope to find is photos of my family wearing the clothing!

We are currently looking for fabrics to coordinate for the sashing & binding!

Then she brought out these! They are made by my great grandmother all hand pieced & stitched. I can only imagine the time it took to make all of the tiny stitches!

Lone Star Quilt

Double Wedding Ring

I hope to think the quilts I make now will be as treasured and loved as these, even after I am long gone, as these are sure to be treasured for many more years to come!

Have a happy day! Meg

2 comments:

Julia said...

Oh how wonderful. I love to touch items that I know were so lovingly made by mu grandmother, or even someone I didn't know. Just to think that someone actually held that quilt in her hands and stitched each stitch one by one. How lucky you are that your mom had saved these quilts.

My Precious Peanut Designs said...

How special to have those quilts! I especially love the first one...it is so cool that it is made from clothing that your family member wore...I really love that idea!