Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cook it Blog it........

Creamy Spaghetti & Beans
I originally found this recipe on Food Network it is by Rachael Ray. I have altered the ingredients a little as I am following a weight loss program and I feel it is just equally as yummy! Even my 4 yr old son ate it!
Here is the recipe:
first is the original/I have show my substitutes in red
  • 5 to 6 cups chicken stock
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter / I used 2 tbs Parkay fat free spray butter
  • 1/4 pound chunk pancetta chopped into small dice/I used turkey ham
  • 4 cloves garlic,
  • chopped 1 pound spaghetti/I used wheat spaghetti
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, cut into a small dice
  • 1 fresh bay leaf
  • 5 to 6 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1 (15-ounce) can Roman beans or small white beans (recommended: Goya brand)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup dry white wine, eyeball it
  • 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • A generous handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped

Place the stock in a sauce pot and warm it over medium heat then reduce to simmer.
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil and the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the pancetta to brown slightly. Next add the garlic and spaghetti and toast the noodles lightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onions and carrots, bay and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Soften veggies a bit, 5 minutes. Add wine and allow it to be completely absorbed. Add beans then add a few ladles of stock and stir the pasta. Keep adding stock a few ladles at a time allowing liquids to be mostly absorbed before adding more, as if you were preparing a risotto. When liquids are absorbed and spaghetti is cooked to al dente, 12-15 minutes, stir in cheese. Adjust salt and pepper. Turn off heat and stir another minute. Remove the bay and thyme stems. Serve in shallow bowls and garnish with lots of parsley.

My printed recipe & turkey ham. I also used minced garlic.
Slowly cooking the noodles so they absorb all the liquids.
Adding the diced carrots and onions.
Beans, Parmesan cheese, white wine
Stirring in the grated cheese.
YUMMY!
Enjoy! Meg

4 comments:

Terriaw said...

Yum, that looks quite good. I think the pictures you showed as you progressed through the recipe sold me on making this dish for our house too!

calicodaisy said...

MMmm, looks good. I just had Ravioli (from the can!) this late, as I was starving after a meeting out. I may not sleep well... I can't always cook and blog because the kitchen isn't clean enough afterward.

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

cool? rockin' pictures too.

and I FINALLY got the article up over at B!F! with your pictures of the memo board tute!

http://tinyurl.com/6rrwfm

check it out!

Janis said...

It looks delicious, I will be trying this. I cook with whole wheat pasta too as my DH is diabetic. It's an acquired taste but I can honestly say I've come to prefer the whole grains. Thanks for the recipe! (PS Looks great on your Longaberger plate too!)